Monday, April 26, 2010

Summer Movies 2010


This weekend sees the opening of A Nightmare on Elm Street. A remake of the horror classic from the 80s about a deranged serial killer who stalks kids in their dreams. More importantly this is the last weekend before the Summer movie season kicks off.

On May 7 Iron Man 2 begins the Summer movie wave which doesn't end until labor day weekend.

For movie lovers the Summer is the best time to catch a flick. Studios release their biggest blockbusters during this season since kids are off from school and many adults are on vacation.

Here are the 10 movies I'm most looking forward to this Summer.

1. The Twilight Saga: Eclipse: The third film in the Vampire/Werewolf saga. Out of the four books this was my favorite. The love story is put on the back burner and the action is amped up. They also hired a true horror director, David Slade, who helmed one of my favorite vampire films, 30 Days of Night.

2. Iron Man 2: I loved the first one and Robert Downey Jr is perfect in the title role. Early buzz says this is a great sequel in the vain of Spiderman 2 and Xmen 2. We'll see.

3. The A Team: I love the TV show from the 80s and with Liam Neeson as Hannibal its gotta be good right?

4.The Last Airbender: M. Knight Shymalan tries to redeem himself after a string of piss-poor films. Based on a popular cartoon, this is the first movie of a proposed trilogy. The trailer looks amazing, lets see if the movie lives up to the hype and gives the Sixth Sense director a much needed shot in the arm.

5. Toy Story 3: These films about Woody the cowboy and Buzz Lightyear put Disney/Pixar on the map. It's been quite a while since we visited with Andy's toys. Hopefully absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder. Disney/Pixar has yet to disappoint me. I'd be shocked if they started now.

6. The Expendables: This is supposedly Sly Stallone's gift to action movie fans around the world. He's assembled an all star action movie cast including The Transporter's Jason Stratham, Jet Li and Ivan Drago himself Dolph Lundgren. With cameos by Bruce Willis and Arnold Schwarzenegger it's either going to be really great or...well, lets not think about the alternative.

7. Predators: Speaking of Arnold, lets hope this reboot of the governor's 1980s cult classic Predator does in fact breath new life into the stale franchise instead of, (gulp) terminating it.

8. Robin Hood: Russell Crowe grabs the bow and arrow and puts on the tights once worn by Kevin Costner. Supposedly this film is more Gladiator than Prince of Thieves. Lets hope so.

9. Inception: This is from director Christopher Nolan, who last helmed a summer blockbuster two years ago; a little film called The Dark Knight. This is supposedly a psychological thriller staring Leonardo DiCaprio, who, like him or not, is one hell of an actor.

10. Grown Ups: Adam Sandler got the band back together for this one. This tale of 40 somethings going through a mid-life crisis stars all of Happy Gilmore's best friends: David Spade, Chris Rock, Kevin James and, of course, Rob Schneider. If these guys play to their potential it could be hilarious.

Other films include Shrek 4, which I've set the bar low for after the just okay, Shrek 3. There's also Prince of Persia with Jake Gyllenhall which has blockbuster written all over it, but something about it doesn't sit right with me.

And what am I predicting as the biggest box office bomb of the summer?

I'm saying Salt with Angelina Jolie. That's got DUD written all over it. Prove me wrong Mrs Pitt. Prove me wrong!

1 comment:

  1. A new movie debuted last weekend at the Tribeca Film Festival. 'Meet Monica Velour'. Interesting thing is it is written and directed by a man who grew up and was 'schooled' in Middletown. His name is Keith Bearden. Now, isn't this a nice local paper type story to write about? The reviews of the movie are very good. I don't know when or where to see it yet but the local angle makes it all the more interesting. Indies are my fave movies.

    P.S...really, Mr G... 'blow' in a headline? hahah.( at least it wasn't a reference to a prostitution type offense ) Blow?...too many movies for you!!! The piston typo, a classic! Thank you for making me CPD warm or whatever it is and with the dog bones you toss our ( the posters ) way

    Also, oldies but goodies. Bubba Hotep? Loved it. Have you seen it? Motel Hell? Two old but amusingly odd films. However, my favorite type of indie is on the sweet side, ex. 'Love Song To Bobby Fisher'. There are so many but this one always springs to my addled mind when I think of a good Indie film. It is often on IFC and most likely this is why it springs to mind. Sundance/ IFC channels, only thing making TV worthwhile. Oh, on occasion my PBS Jane Austen girlie stuff and any remake of Madame Bovary. I no longer enjoy actually paying money to actual theaters and sitting with real people in the dark at night ( worse yet, middle of a sunny afternoon ) to see these things. I am old, not wizened... tsk, and fondly recall the days of Rocky Horror and pretentious BS with French subtitles. I now enjoy Sundance, a DVR and an early bedtime with a goodbook in my lap and Mr Sardonica at my side... or, vice versa. Yes, I am boring, or not.

    Sshhh...between us, write up a nice local angle story and grab the credit. Mix your passions in life. I am trying to imagine the headline as I type. Feed the commenting beasts hahaha ( manical laughter )
    Regards, Sardonica

    ReplyDelete